newer W32

newer W32

corklabus

Sep 24, 07 at 05:38pm
Have been beating my brains out trying to get rid of this thing without success, but then I'm not the brightest of home users either.
Seems this W32.Myzor.FK@yf virus is a varient of Smitfraud.
Running Xp home edition with lousy Norton antivirus, but do have the super adware thing and spy-bot and hijack this.
I know how to turn off system restore and have downloaded a bunch of different removal tools that haven't worked. Most everything I've run across says they have to be run in safe mode.
This presents me with two other problems. #1 I have no printing capability to save instructions to use while in safe mode #2 I'm scared shittless to try fooling around with anything insafe mode for fear of really, really messing up everthing. Instructions for super stupid computer dummies shall be greatly apprecited.
Also ran across something about Trojan.Media-code/V3 (that may be codex/V3. Any help ???:cry:

Deleted Member

Sep 24, 07 at 08:17pm
You're using SuperAntiSpyware? It cleans most stuff. Even without turning system restore off.

Otherwise, go ahead and start in safe mode. The basic difference is you're not connected to the internet, and everything looks different. Just put the cleaner you think is going to work best, restart your computer. As soon as you hear the beep, or it starts up, start hitting the F8 key until it gives you the options. Select the option to not use system restore. It will go to your desktop and look all weird, but just think of it like it's Halloween. Find the cleaner you're going to use, and run it. After it's done, just restart, and it will go into normal mode.
Edited by Deleted Member Sep 24, 07 at 08:18pm

corklabus

Sep 24, 07 at 08:29pm
Thanks, watcher, I'm going to try this, but I think I want to wait a while to see if anyone else has any other ways of tackling it. I've tried a bunch of stuff already without success.
From what I found on Google, it seems to be a really nasty varient to get rid of. Hopefully I'm not the first one to have had to deal with it among our friends here. I know about everybody here is a helluva lot smarter than me when it comes to these stupid machines.
Gimme an OLD hotrod car anyday..........

Deleted Member

Sep 24, 07 at 10:05pm
What could Possibly go wrong??:-)

corklabus

Sep 25, 07 at 12:53am
Threw everthing I got at it in safe mode.
Still no help. I still got the hi-jack this thing from Castle Cops, but I really don't know how to go about taking samples of registry files and attatching them to forum posts so they can analize them and tell me what to do to fix the registry. Just too chicken-shit to attempt that
on my own. Hoping something turns up soon.

Deleted Member

Sep 25, 07 at 08:53pm
corklabus, are you still sitting here?8O

corklabus

Sep 25, 07 at 10:01pm
Just got back.....was away a little bit.

Any new ideas ????

Deleted Member

Sep 25, 07 at 11:20pm
I would just do it for you, but It's an awful long way.

Maybe you can copy this url and paste it into your browser. Note that if you're using Vista, you need to use V2 of HiJackThis.

http://www.whatthetech.com/hijackthis

corklabus

Sep 25, 07 at 11:29pm
I'm goin' for it. Ready to try about anything.

Maybe even dynamite..........

corklabus

Sep 26, 07 at 12:41am
ComboFix from Bleeping Computer seems to have gotten rid of this mess.

Now if I could just get this stupid IE7 to
work right I might be half-way home.

Bright ideas....I want to get AVG and a different firewall. If I do this do I need to uninstall Norton and windows firewall first,or just get it, save it and make the swap later?

I never wanted IE7 in the first place, but it snuck in on an automatic update. Never has worked satifactorilly. Never completes most picture downloads....lots of red x's.....and makes me refresh pages like crazy to get anywhere. This was from day one of installation and still going on after killing the virus. Any brainstorms about that issue ?