Marriage Expires

Marriage Expires

zepyer_1999

Sep 23, 07 at 07:39am
A german legislature has proposed an Experation Date on marriages.
Folks getting married would get seven years and then would have to renew or they could walk away.
What do you think?

cindythebear

Sep 23, 07 at 07:49am
Sounds more like a civil union than a marriage. I'd vote no on this issue.

Yogi might not have wanted to renew after 7 years but we did at 20 and it was his idea.

sobalosa

Sep 23, 07 at 07:53am
I've often thought that there should be a
"learner's permit" system in this country, say
for three years. Actually I think seven years
is good too. Every seven years you have the
choice between walking away or renewing your
committment to each other. I would have
used the first option for my first two wives,
the second option for Soba Tobi.

The fact is, many married couples are already
doing that, it's just that they have to go
through lawyers, who up the ante quite a bit.

I also believe there should be such a thing
as an "associate spouse", who can legally be part of a marriage with no strings attached.
Means they could leave whenever they felt like
it, but during their stay they would be accepted as part of the family. Consider for
a moment the notion of you and your wife working while the "AP" or associate spouse
cleans the house and has supper on the table
when you get home...

Anyway, it's just a thought.

Oh, and no, I would not likely have a male associate spouse in the house. Soba Tobi would
not likely have a female, so I doubt if we
would be able to avail ourselves of the convenience.

Deleted Member

Sep 23, 07 at 08:30am
I was thinking I agreed with you Soba - until you brought up the Associate Spouse - that's where I quit agreeing. To ME marriage is a one-on-one union - there should be no other. If there is a need by either one to have another person then they shouldn't get married in the first place.

I left my husband not only because he was an alcholic abusive man but also because he wanted me to be a part of a threesome - or - more. I could not do that to my marriage - it was already dying but I couldn't do that and kill it completely so I left.

Deleted Member

Sep 23, 07 at 08:52am
Sounds like marrage for people with bad judgment.

zepyer_1999

Sep 23, 07 at 09:22am
I forgot but when I lived in Alaska they had Contract marriage. Not sure on the details but, if I got it right the marriage was a contract with details written in and to how and when to break up. Simple as both parties saying "Ok were done, and its over" long as no kids involved.
I think maybe we should consider this. Two folks want to marry then they go down to the courthouse file an "intent to marry". The couple couldn't marry for nine months and whould have to go to premarital counseling.
I pick nine months due to a survey that said the average relationship lasted six to nine months.
Of course no guarntees in anything. I just had woman yank the rug out from under me after almost two years.

mnoldbstrd

Sep 23, 07 at 09:28am
A seven year renewel would cut out the lawyer fees, but would also allow people to give up their marriage without trying to make it work, although right now it sounds good to me. My wife once mentioned renewing our vows, but it must have been a look in my eyes that caused her to change the subject.

Deleted Member

Sep 23, 07 at 09:41am
Um,, is it not in the vows "till death us do part"?:-)

mnoldbstrd

Sep 23, 07 at 09:47am
well that what I'm waiting on. I said it once so she need not ask me to say it again,she wouldn't like my response the second time. She has packed to leave 3 time and when she saw I didn't care if she left or not she unpacks.

sobalosa

Sep 24, 07 at 07:45am
Sorry, LadyYoop, the "Associate Spouse" was
tongue in cheek. I've often kidded Soba Tobi
about finding us a 20 Year Old for a second
wife and she says just make sure she knows how to do windows and wash dishes. Fact is, I wouldn't tamper with what I have at all. It is simple, easy and I wouldn't complicate it
in the least.

Love your icon, by the way.