war profits

war profits

Deleted Member

Sep 19, 07 at 02:33pm
War means a windfall for CEOs
President Bush's military buildup and the conflict in Iraq have meant soaring profits for defense contractors and big paychecks for CEOs. But should we be concerned?

By Michael Brush
While policymakers in Washington wrangle over how much progress we've made in Iraq, one thing is clear: The war on terror is making some people rich.

President Bush's military buildup has caused defense-contractor revenue to double, triple and even more during the past five years, and their executives have reaped huge bonuses and stock windfalls as the companies' share prices have jumped.

Take a look:

CEOs at top defense contractors have reaped annual pay gains of 200% to 688% in the years since the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

The chief executives at the seven defense contractors whose bosses made the most pocketed nearly a half-billion dollars from 2002 through last year.

The CEOs made an average of $12.4 million a year, easily more than the average corporate chief. Since the start of the war, CEOs at defense contractors such General Dynamics (GD, news, msgs), Halliburton (HAL, news, msgs) and Oshkosh Truck (OSK, news, msgs) have made, on average, more in four days than what a top general makes in a whole year, or $187,390.

Defense contractor CEOs are enjoying these big rewards partly because much of the war effort is being outsourced by an administration that believes private companies do things better than the public sector, say researchers at the Institute for Policy Studies and United for a Fair Economy.

"In the most privatized war in history, lucrative opportunities abound for chief executives of defense contractors," says Sarah Anderson of the Institute for Policy Studies.

$19.5 million a year
General Dynamics CEO Nicholas Chabraja tops the list of defense-contractor chiefs who have made the most money during the 2002-2006 defense buildup. Between 2002 and 2006, he pocketed $97.9 million, or an average of $19.6 million a year.

Sales at General Dynamics increased 76% from 2002 to 2006, with significant help from Department of Defense spending. Overall sales increased to $24.1 billion from $13.6 billion, and at least a third of that increase came from higher Department of Defense spending.

Those contract awards helped General Dynamics stock more than double to $80 a share from $39 at the start of 2002. In the same time frame, the S&P 500 Index ($INX) has advanced 28%. The big stock advance allowed Chabraja to collect $21.5 million by cashing out stock options last year. General Dynamics, which supplies technology that goes into combat systems used by several branches of the military, was the fourth-largest Defense Department contractor last year.

David Lesar at Halliburton made $79.8 million, or nearly $16 million a year, from 2002-2006. During this time, Defense Department revenue at his company grew from just 4% in 2001 to 40% in 2004. That year, the company got nearly $8 billion in defense contracts out of total revenue of $19.9 billion.

chew on this one for a while.
is there any wonder why bush wants continued presence in iraq?this does not even begin to count the war profits from oil.
the principle share holders for each of these companies are public domain info.look it up.
8O
quack
Edited by Deleted Member Sep 19, 07 at 10:08pm

bearmaker

Sep 19, 07 at 03:03pm
Dear d_jr Those profits are not the motive.
The motive is to get real demockracy and good living for the ppl living in Iraq and Afganistan.

You are also paying more than $100 billion to civilians ,Blackwaters and others per year.That means work for many ,more than 100.000 ppl helping to get the free and demockratick Iraq.:lol:

zepyer_1999

Sep 19, 07 at 05:25pm
During the defense build up in the 80s people were complaing of the cost. A U.S. Marine Corp General said "if you think this is expensive wait until you see the cost of a war".
Nothing new here, suppliers have always made a mint of our wars. Harry Truman came to America's attention when he started investigating fruad and spending in the military during WWII.

Deleted Member

Sep 19, 07 at 05:31pm
a democracy like pakistans?
:lol::lol::lol:
careful or most will not see the sarcasm in your post like i do brother bear.
maybe the US will wake up one day.
blackwater and the rest of the freelance mercenaries are in the process of being deported.
the house of cards filled with smoke and mirrors is starting to show strain and
not too far from total colapse.
8)
quack

Deleted Member

Sep 19, 07 at 08:28pm
Please don't post such lengthy articles.
Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Just bottom line this load of crap.:bye:

Deleted Member

Sep 19, 07 at 10:08pm
the bottom line is all the mysterious monetary links to all the whitehouse moneygrubbers who award these contracts.
wake up dubyaduck,the jig is up.if it will make you feel better,i'll go and find the hunt/bush,cheyney/halliburton,etc conections for you cuz aparently you still refuse to see the conflicts of interest in this bogus war or who is making a monetary and mortal killing in Iraq.with the blood of americas youth.
i won't call you stupid,just either ignorant of, or flat out refusing the facts.
on second thought,look it up yourself.
i'm beginning to think you are in actuality dick cheyney himself.
that could answer why you get so offended at the mere mention of anthing derogatory toward him.
:P:P:P
quack

Deleted Member

Sep 19, 07 at 10:21pm
“Ray L. Hunt” has been a Signatory for/with the following 15 Registrants:
Baroid Corporation/DE
Bottling Group LLC
Brinker International Inc
Dresser Industries Inc/DE
Electronic Data Systems Corp/DE [ formerly Electronic Data Systems Holding Corp ]
Ergo Science Corp
General Motors Corp
Halliburton Capital Trust I
Halliburton Co
Hunt Acquisitions Partners Ltd
Hunt Oil Co
Hunt Ray L
Pepsico Inc
Security Capital Group Inc [ formerly Security Capital Realty Inc Et Al ]
Steuben Investment Co LP

“Ray L. Hunt” has/had a Signatory interest in the following 6 Registrants:
Chieftain International Inc
Ergo Science Corp
General Motors Corp
Halliburton Co
Meridian Industrial Trust Inc
Pepsico Inc

try this one on for size.notice all pies that one ray l. hunt has his fingers in.
do you need me to find the hunt/bush connection for you?
back in a minuite.
:bye:
quack

Deleted Member

Sep 19, 07 at 10:30pm
here's a few clips from his bio......
Chief Executive Officer

Ray L. Hunt is a Dallas businessman whose association with Hunt Oil Company began in 1958 as a summer employee in the oil fields. He graduated from Southern Methodist University in 1965 with a degree in economics and now serves as chairman of the board, president, and chief executive officer of Hunt Consolidated, Inc., and chief executive officer of Hunt Oil Company and other related companies. Additionally, he serves as a member of the boards of directors of Bessemer Securities Corporation, Bessemer Securities LLC, Electronic Data Systems, King Ranch, Inc., and PepsiCo.

Within the oil and gas industry, Mr. Hunt is a member of the board of directors of the American Petroleum Institute and serves on its Policy Committee. Mr. Hunt previously served as president of the Dallas Petroleum Club and the Dallas Wildcat Committee.

With respect to government service, in October 2001 and again in January 2006, Mr. Hunt was appointed by President George W. Bush to the President?s Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board in Washington, D.C. Mr. Hunt was also appointed to the board of directors of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas in 1998 and served as its chairman for four years until rotating off of the board on December 31, 2006. Additionally, he is currently a member of the National Petroleum Council (an industry advisory organization to the Secretary of Energy) and served as its chairman from June 1991 to July 1994

now,do you need me to make the connection for these two cronies to Iraq?
:P
quack

Deleted Member

Sep 19, 07 at 10:52pm
hmmmmm,seems my job here is done.
:bye:
quack

newguy1

Sep 20, 07 at 09:21am
Paranoia will destroy ya!

Hell I made profits off the war too. Oh shit I'm in the government, therefore I am connected to Bush.

It's an inside job, it must be! 8O